Monday, June 15, 2009

Jesus is the only way

By Joel Persinger

I have been reading the book of Leviticus lately. It’s dry reading, I must admit. I found myself talking to the Lord this morning after reading Leviticus 5 and 6 and confessing that I find it difficult to keep my attention on the scriptures and frankly, just to keep my eyes open. It was at that moment that a realization came to me. It was very cool, so I thought I would share with you.

Each of the sacrifices listed and described in great detail in the chapters of Leviticus worked for one specific type of sin and only worked if done in a specific and precise way. In the same way, getting to God can only be accomplished in one specific and precise way; though Jesus Christ. I cannot come to God through Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism or any other “ism”, “religion” or belief. Neither can I come to God by ignoring everything and just being a “good person.” Each and every one of those things is a false road leading in the wrong direction.

When Jesus said, “I am the way and the trust and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6), it was not arrogance or pride that drove him to say it. It was simply a fact of God’s design. God is a god of specific instructions and clockwork perfection in all things. His plans are always detailed, complete and perfect. Thus, there is no need for a Plan B. Plan A works just fine. Plan A always works and no other plan works. Jesus is and always has been, Plan A. Just as the sacrifices listed in Leviticus were the only ones that worked for the ancient Hebrews in order to bring them back to God after they had sinned, the bloody and terrible sacrifice that Jesus made is the only one that will get any of us to Heaven.

No comments: