Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don’t force it… get a bigger hammer!

For many years I thought I could bring someone to Christ by twisting arms and pestering. “After all” I thought, “The guy who got me to church, bugged me for weeks until I finally gave in.” True, but I finally gave in to get him to stop bugging me and it didn’t last very long. It took a tragedy in my life to get me to really start looking for Jesus and men in the church willing to listen and befriend me in order for me to stay.

Jesus, as I have discovered, never forced anyone to follow him. In fact, he simply said “Come follow me” and start walking. You either followed, or you didn’t. He didn’t’ stop his conversations at discussions of the weather or start them by saying “hey, I go to this great church”. He ate with tax collectors and spent time in the homes of sinners. He built friendships that lasted and relationships that he knew would carry his followers through even the most difficult of times. He served the friends he made and loved them into the Kingdom.

After he washed his disciples feet he said "Do you understand what I have done for you?" … 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them” (John 13:12-17). In teaching us this lesson, Jesus did not go and wash the feet of strangers. Instead, he washed the feet of his friends.

What does all this mean? Simply put, I have discovered that I am much more use to Jesus if I do what he did. So, I don’t go knocking on doors to invite people to church anymore. Don’t get me wrong, if you like to knock on doors more power to you. But I choose to build friendships with everyone I can as I go through my day. I invite them to eat at my house and meet my family and we go to eat with them and get to know their household. We build friendships with people who don’t go to church and wait patiently for God to provide the opportunity to share our faith. As Paul said “make the most of every opportunity.” (Col 4:5b). He didn’t say “make every opportunity” only make the most of the opportunities the Lord provides. So, if you’re like me and have been looking for that bigger hammer, stop; don’t force it. Let God be God and just make the most of every opportunity and “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt…” (Col 4:6a). It’s only through patience, humility and love that the people we meet can be brought to the Lord.

2 comments:

Joel Persinger said...

Thanks Kelishe and Antwane. I'm glad to know that this little project is being read by someone other than me.

jp

Joel Persinger said...

Thanks for the note Holly. I'm glad it helped and I'm glad you joined us on the blog.